Today, more than ever, the regulations and laws governing imports and exports to and from the United States impact all companies engaged in global commerce. With more and more companies relying on services and manufacturing processes that incorporate various steps of managing, construction/assembly, and back office support services across multiple countries, it is crucial for proper compliance protocols to be in place.
Electronic data transfers and movement of intellectual property through digital media offer ever-expanding potential trade issues. Mergers, joint ventures and other burgeoning trade developments have necessitated U.S.-based companies to become aware of the various import/export policies that may affect their interests.
The new reality of international supply chains rather than domestic-based industry has resulted in a complex milieu of rules and regulations governing the controls. These controls advance foreign policy, economic growth and safeguard national security interests. Exceedingly strong enforcement by regulators and significant consequences for failure to comply has made import/export controls more important to companies than ever before.
At Guidepost Solutions, our team provides subject matter expertise to negotiate pitfalls and remain compliant with the various regulatory agencies. They help develop compliance plans and perform critical monitoring of import/export controls and customs requirements. Our experts include former federal agency executives from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of Commerce, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service, Transportation Security Administration, and the National Security Council.
We will help you to connect with compliance resources across the complex global economy by offering the following services:
- Assess and analyze vulnerabilities to prevent and mitigate regulatory violations and ensure exports reach clients timely.
- Assess current trade policy and procedure and level of compliance to those policies and procedures by managers and employees.
- Conduct or support internal investigations, including support for law firms.
- Review and assess internal control issues regulated by the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) and subject to Export Administration Regulations (EAR); the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC); the U.S. Department of Energy and the U.S. Department of State, who oversee the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Assess potential deemed export issues and controls ensuring compliance when transferring intellectual properties, services and data rather than actual goods and products.
- Assist in implementation of trade compliance technology, including sanctions filters and import/export management.
- Develop RFPs to operationalize trade compliance program with software.
- Provide comprehensive monitoring to deter, identify and address fraud, financial malfeasance and violations of law and ethics.
- Work with agency officials to support proper business compliance.
- Assist management in the development of appropriate import/export strategies.
- Provide import/export training to any employees, as necessary.
- Assist with the preparation of voluntary disclosures.
- Provide experts to analyze current and new company products, services and technologies to identify and classify assets subject to export controls.
- Advise on hiring and employment of foreign nationals, particularly important under certain export regulations.
- Advise on transactions involving countries and entities subject to economic sanctions, foreign asset and anti-terrorism controls, and anti-boycott regulations.
A Certificate of Origin (CO) is a formal document attesting that goods in a particular export shipment are wholly obtained or produced or manufactured or processed in a particular country (country of origin). Nearly every country in the world considers the origin of imported goods when determining what duty will be assessed on the goods or, in some cases, whether the goods may be legally imported at all.
EZCertOrigin™, developed by Guidepost Solutions, is a comprehensive software solution to obtain certificates of origin from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce. Any Chamber of Commerce who implements EZCertOrigin provides their members a secure, online processing and payment fulfillment, system for obtaining certified Certificates of Origin.